Tuesday, February 28, 2012

8401 Days

As I sit here, bored, waiting for Spring Break and my barely 3 day trip home, I can't help but daydream about all the things I miss. Which is sad. But hopefully, I'll get at least some when I get there...here's my current list.

1. Pepperjax. I just want a friggen steak wrap. So bad. It's like pregnancy cravings. Every time a picture of anything from Pepperjax comes up on my facebook, a little part of me dies. This is a must do any time I go home. I would eat a steak wrap for every meal if that didn't mean I would probably die of a heart blockage.

2. The Moon. Just in general. I miss going to the moon. I miss drinking Pink Moons. I'm pretty sure every night I got super drunk in college was somehow related to the moon (Sorry, parents!). I just love this place. Maybe just because I miss college and how easy it was comparatively, and this takes me back to those days, but really, I miss that place.

3. Parking my car in a garage. This is mainly because the only good spot outside my apartment in the last few days was under the tree and now my hood is covered - COVERED - in bird shit. Which is just gross. If it's still nice in March, I'm getting a car wash and then leaving my car in there so I can remember what it's like to have it look pretty.

4. The Basement Club. Which is like the Breakfast Club, but way lamer. Lamer because it is actually just two of my best friends and me hanging out in my basement, and because I have to be Ally Sheedy, the creepy one. But I really miss that time, some of my favorite memories come from that basement and those people.

I could really go on for days about things I want to go back to, but, I have to wait 17 more days for that (and yes, there is a countdown on my phone. Don't judge me). Luckily, there are good things keeping me here, too. For one, I have friends who give me the leftover pizza so that I can eat until I get paid. Who does that? Super nice people, that's who. For two, I have homemade Kahlua from my awesome Aunt that I am drinking right now since I am so far ahead on my homework that I can kick back a little :) which is awesome. Three, I have actually kept up on keeping my apartment clean this semester, and I actually really like my clean apartment. It's cute. I much prefer my big bed here than the twin I sleep in at home. There are pros here, too. Thank God.

My apartment. More specifically, my couch. Where the magic happens. Things to notice: Candles, Kahlua, and a hole punch. Girl's best friends? Anyway, someday, I swear I'm going to post pics of the rest of my place for those of you who want to see it and haven't had the "official" skype tour.

What's closer on my phone countdown is my 23rd birthday. 9 days. So pumped. I love birthdays. Not just my birthday, all birthdays. If it's your birthday and you don't want people to know, don't tell me. I want people to sing obnoxiously to you and make you wear weird hats or do embarrassing things. Birthdays are the best! It'll be weird not celebrating with my mom this year, though. I'm kind of nervous, I've never not been home for my birthday (since it was ALWAYS over Spring Break in college) so this is the first one on my own. Not like it will be exciting at all, it's on a friggen Thursday. I'll be in class during the day and clinic at night, at least until 7. So that's kind of super lame. Hopefully some cool things will come up, but honestly, 23 is kind of boring. To quote Blink-182, "nobody likes you when you're 23." I feel like it's a downhill slide from here. All of the birthdays you look forward to after this are not fun ones, so 23 just doesn't seem that fun. And if you asked my 10 year old self where I would be when I was 23, I'm sure I'm none of those places. I bet I would have said "married, getting ready for kids (by 25, duh), living in a house with a career and blah blah blah. None of those things are happening. Which I'm ok with. I never ever thought I'd be going to grad school, never thought I'd be moving to Oklahoma, never thought I would have met some of the people I have who have changed my life, never thought I'd have mono three times, never thought my mom would have breast cancer, never thought I'd get a tattoo, never thought I'd do half of the things I've done to this day. So while my life may not have been in my plans, it's been pretty awesome. I've learned a lot, done a lot, experienced a lot, and I'm ok that it hasn't been anything I've planned. I'll get there, I'm only 22 :)

That was my 19th birthday....already 4 years ago. Holy balls. My hair was so dark! I miss it :)

My most recent big project for school was a book report on The 5 Love Languages. After reading it, I'm basically obsessed with this book. I would like everyone in the world to read this book and learn their love languages. Mine, no surprise, are physical touch and quality time. I just wanna be hugged, man! It's weird, though, realizing that people get love in different ways. It's interesting to think of how this has affected my life....like my mom, for example. She's probably a words of affirmation lady. She gets pissed when I say mean things..."I hate you, you're a jerk", etc. That means a lot to her, whereas for me, words pretty much mean nothing. You could probably tell me I'm the most horrible person in the world and it wouldn't affect me as much as if you refuse to hug me. I want to feel that you love me and for you to want to spend time with me. Your presence to me means that you love me. It's enlightening to realize that people don't necessarily feel loved the way I feel love. Some people hate physical touch, and that's probably not their love language. Fascinating stuff. Read this book. It'll change your life. That was a much bigger plug than I anticipated.....but I'm serious, so good.

I've been listening to a lot of old music lately, which has helped keep my sanity through some tough homework times last week. Everyone should go back and listen to Tracy Chapman, Give Me One Reason or Fast Car, because it's just so good. I still laugh everytime I listen to her because I thought she was a man until I was like 13, but I always thought s(he) was amazing. I also have this really weird pain in the middle of my back that I wish would go away. I hate that I always seem to have these injuries that I generally can't explain. Minus the foot thing, that was my own dumb fault. I can't wait until I get paid....my fridge looks almost as empty as when I first moved in. It has been so awful, I've never been out of money for this long. But I should be getting PAID super soon with my paycheck and my tax refund, so that's pretty great. Hopefully I can get some fun things for my apartment with this paycheck. We shall see. Ok, I'm done. Happy Leap Year tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. I'd just like to say that I'm sad that I didn't make the list :( .......but I'm just giving you crap. I remember your 13th b-day....that was such a pretty dress on such a pretty girl! I don't get the 8401 days....you will have to tell me what that means.....I love you and miss you and can't WAIT to see my girl! and of course HUG HER!!!! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog reminded me of s saying . . . You must give up the life you planned in order to have the life that is waiting for you! What an exciting time for you. So glad you're here in Oklahoma. It wasn't something any of us had planned either, but what a wonderful surprise!

    I, too, am a huge fan of the Five Love Languages. And being a total Gemini, of course I have more than one. Now if we can just get the men in our lives to read it . . . But I drug it back out and plan to read it again. It's been a lot of years and I remember not being able to put it down. So thanks for reminding me how good it is.

    I think 8401 is the number of days old you will be when you are back in Omaha.

    Love and hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most people probably wouldn't take the time to add-in all the "Leap-
    days"...Nice work. I'm guessing the first reply if from your mom.

    n9ne

    ReplyDelete